Monday, September 23, 2013

World Vision and birthday cards


Whew.  After some emails back and forth, and some waiting, I finally (today) received the world vision birthday card for my sponsored child, Alphonsine, in Rwanda.
Now, Alphonsine's birthday is October 2, so I'm guessing it will definitely not get to her on time.  About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I started getting emails from world vision telling me that they had sent me a birthday card for Alphonsine that I could sign and send to her.  I waited for a bit, and then emailed world vision, letting them know that no such birthday card had made its way to me.
They immediately sent another card, and I was a little shocked to see that there is a suggested $5 donation to send the birthday card.  I was also shocked to see that I am to send the card back to world vision offices in Washington state, and not directly to the world vision Rwanda office, as that is where all the rest of my sponsored children's mail goes.  Mailing to world vision offices first seems like an extra step. While it's less money in postage, it likely will take even longer to get there.
Well, so be it.  My beautiful Alphonsine will be getting a late birthday card, and I am, in fact, sending world vision the $5 to help cover the costs of processing birthday cards for the kids.
I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the world vision birthday card program.


No comments:

Post a Comment