Sunday, November 17, 2013

So much excess

That is 18 bags of clothing to go to the thrift store up the street.  Today, I went through all of the clothing that my kids have outgrown, that we were "saving" for a potential future foster placement, and got rid of it all except for a small tote of 0-6 month clothing.  That's 18 FULL garbage bags of girls' 6 months - 4T clothing that my daughter has outgrown, and boys' 6 months - 2T clothing that my sons have outgrown.
What the 18 bags in this picture don't include is 1 bag of 3T girls stuff to go to my friend who needs long pants/long sleeved shirts for her daughter, 1 1/2 full garbage bags of infant clothes that were stained and thrown out, a bag of 2T girls that went to a friend last year, and a full bag of 18 months boy clothing that went to a local family in need a couple months ago.  Wow.  I think about how much excess is here, and then I think about my sponsored children.  Do they have more than a handful of outfits?  Do they fit?  Are they weather appropriate?
Before I came back to sponsoring, I made a conscious effort to pare down on the clothing I was buying for the kids.  I recognized that I was out of control when they were little--I blame it on being an excited new parent, and my first baby being a girl, lol.  We do much better now, and we only take the handed down clothing from friends that we will actually use.  If I already have an entire size 6 wardrobe for my daughter, I don't need to accept another friend's outgrown clothing!  I get a lot of handed down clothing, and I also enjoy buying clothing for my kids.  There were, shamefully, a lot of clothes in these bags that still had tags on them.
So all of this clothing will be out the door tomorrow after I drop the kids off at school, and I certainly hope to not have this problem again, lol!  Just thinking about my sponsored childrens' probably lack of clothing is seemingly enough to squash any desire to purchase more clothes for my 3 kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment